Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

Chilli Paratha: Baked and Broiled

Until this evening I was in no mood to cook something delicious for dinner. I thought of just making dosa and eat with left over chutneys. Since I dint have much plans for dinner I called my friend and was chatting for while about food blogs. She listed the food she tried and how well it turned out be... so as we were talking Archana’s Chilly crepes came into our topic. She suggested me to give a try since it was a hit at her place. I had tried Archana’s Naan which turned out so delicious, so I gave a try to her chilly crepes. I dint have all the ingredients which she used, so I cooked with the available ingredients and made some changes to recipe. I also broiled at the end to give a crispy texture for the parathas. So those who haven’t tried this recipe do give a try because it is super delicious. I made spicier version by adding masalas. Here goes the recipe!!!!

Method for making Parathas
  • Mix 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, required amount of water to form a thick batter. Leave it for 10- 15 minutes.
  • Heat a flat pan, pour a ladle full of batter on the pan and spread it evenly like a circle. Spray or apply oil at the edges of the batter. Heat for about a minute and flip to the other side and cook for another minute. For step by step instruction see here. Keep aside and allow them to cool.
  • Cut them into square pieces, I used scissors to cut them into small pieces. Take an oven safe flat pan and put the aluminum foil. Arrange the pieces evenly.
  • Bake at 300 F for 10-12 minutes and broil at high for 3-4 minutes. While broiling keep an eye on the pieces, once it turns little crisper take it out and keep aside.

Method for making Chili Parathas

  • Heat non-stick pan with oil, add 1 onion cut into small pieces, few curry leaves, 1 tsp of ginger, 1 tsp of garlic, 2 green chilies finely chopped, ½ tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp garam masala and sauté them for a minute.
  • Now add 1 green bell pepper finely chopped or chopped length wise. Sauté them for another one minutes until it turns soft.
  • Add 1 big tomato grinded into a paste with ½ tsp soya sauce into the mixture and cook for another one minute.
  • Add the baked and broiled pieces into the mixture and saute them until all the spice covered with pieces.
Serve them hot with raita. I made raita very bland since the chili parathas were spicy. Just added onion, cilantro leaves, yogurt, salt, and mixed them together.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Tanuja said...

hi priya,

Thanks for sharing a new dish,its making me more hungry:)

5:28 AM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Ho wow, priya that looks great...the chilli paratha is there in my wish list..will try soon...

5:33 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

They all look beautiful, Priya! Even the plain paratha bits!! Yum!! Thank you and Archana for this!! :)))

5:49 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks just as yummy. I like a lot of spice too. Thanks!

6:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

Looks absolutely delicious !!

9:11 AM   Edit
Blogger Anitha Pillai said...

Wow.. this is an amazing idea.. I will definitely try it this weekend.. Priya thanx for the yummy recipe

9:19 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, send me a pracel home. I am soo hungry seeing this.

10:51 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its nice to cook from fellow bloggers rite... the pictures are very tempting Priya.

10:54 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! very very tempting too. will give this a try very soon. thanks Priya for sharing this recipe.

Rg.

2:03 PM   Edit
Blogger archana said...

Looks so good Priya,it will defanitely taste rich with garam masala and all. Broiling the pieces for a short while is a fabulous idea. Thank you for the mention.

3:08 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really good. There are so many good recipes on your blog. Hope to find some time soon to try out some of the recipes.

6:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
Chilli paratha is on eof my favourite. Whenever I go to chennai I get this once a week from a hotel next to my house. I have tried making this recipe once at home but didnt turn out good. Actually I deep fried the parathas and it was very oily. now i understand that I should have baked and broiled.Thanks for the recipe..

6:43 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

The chili paratha looks very good, we love spicy food.

8:22 AM   Edit
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

Hi Priya,
chilli paratha is famous in my home town.My sister favorite dish too.

When we goes to the hotel she will always order this.Thanks for sharing.

7:32 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home