Friday, September 22, 2006

 

Lentil dumplings in coconut curry

I got to taste this curry for the first time during my recent visit to India. That time I never bothered to get the recipe for this curry. Few weeks back I went to my friends place and we got to talk about this recipe and she said she makes it in different ways. I know this recipe needs only lentils and coconut so I mailed her asking for the recipe as I was running out of veggies. She promptly replied my mail and that’s how I tried this recipe today. This looks like malai kofta but this curry is made of lentils steamed and cooked in coconut curry sauce. Here goes the recipe!!!

Method to make the lentil dumplings
  • Soak ½ cup chana dal & ½ cup toor dal in water for 2- 3 hours.
  • Grind the dals with 2-3 red chilies, 1 tsp cumin seeds, and salt without adding water. Grind to a coarse paste and not to a thick paste.
  • To the ground paste add ½ big onion finely chopped and mix with the paste. Make lemon size balls with your hands.
  • Arrange the balls on idly moulds and steam cook for 9- 10 minutes until the ball gets cooked.

Making lentil dumpling with coconut curry
  • For the curry heat the pan with 2-3 tsp oil, add mustard, cumin, and curry leaves and saute for few minutes.
  • Add ½ big onion finely chopped, 1 tomato finely chopped, ¼ tsp fenugreek powder, and pinch of asafetida and saute them well.
  • Add 1 ½ tsp chili powder, 3 ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, lemon size tamarind soaked in 1 cup of water, and salt. Mix everything and cook on low-medium heat for few minutes.
  • Grind ½ - ¾ cup of coconut and pour it to the curry and cook for another few minutes.
  • Slowly drop the lentil dumplings to the curry and cook for another few minutes.

Serve hot with rice :)


See Priya's lentil dumpling curry, Sudha's lentil dumplings in Yogurt sauce
and Manpasand's Lentil soup

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I haven't been here in a while. I love the new look of your blog. I also love your dumplings. I'd love to have a taste!

Best,
Paz

5:15 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum ,yum every time I come ,I get to see yummy treats.priya Your lentil dumplings are very appetizing.

5:45 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

Looks mouthwatering, Priya!! I love all your recipes and I made Kerala Sambhar too! YUM!! I will put up in my post sometime with credit to you..Thanks a bunch..
Have a great weekend!! :)))

6:15 AM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

This is a great recipe. We do make lentil dumpling rasam . Here is the link http://manpasand.blogspot.com/2006/06/paruppu-urundai-rasam.html
I have bookmarked this recipe. Will surely try this.

6:28 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, this looks so tempting right now! It's raining out and this would make such a lovely lunch or supper. Will have to try very soon - thank you for sharing it :)

8:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

priya...is this the same 'vada curry' which is famous in tamilnadu??? i have heared of that but never tried..ur curry is so appealing..hey,does it taste like paruppuvada?

8:51 AM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Priya we call this uruna kozhambu..was actually looking out for the recipe..will try this soon and let u know..

11:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Priya , when I saw the picture I thought it was malai kofta. Picture looks tempting priya. I wanted to make this for a long time ..Thanks for the recipe.

6:45 AM   Edit
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

priya..i fell iam some way familier to this recipe..but forgotten completely...thanks for reminding i will try it soon.

1:19 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.hmm..looks delicious!!!

6:34 AM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

i have heard of this but good to get a recipe from you. will try it soon.

11:32 AM   Edit
Blogger Anupama said...

Priya, The dumplings recipe is simply superb. You can bet i am going to try it out vry soon. will let you know how it turned out.

12:50 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, I will try this recipe and will let you know. Btw,as usual nice pic.

8:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tht looks amazing...i love such type of colorful dishes and am very much impressed by u...thnx for sharing

12:31 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, This recipe looks amazingly delicious. Thanks for sharing.

7:54 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya...this is my first visit to your site and it looks good...will surely try this one out

5:30 AM   Edit
Blogger Mrs. K said...

Looks awesome! Don't remember I have ever tasted this. I will try it out sometime. :)

10:05 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..that looks amazing. I will make them soon.

12:14 PM   Edit
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

Aww..this looks mouthwatering, I missed having this while in India

8:38 PM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

looks so good Priya and your new look of the blog also

1:49 PM   Edit
Blogger Sangeeta said...

Great recipe Priya. This is on my "cook this weekend" list.

Sangeeta

8:44 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Paz..good to see you after a long time..

Maneka... you are right-- they call it as Urandi Kulambu-- the dumplings tastes exactly like Parippu vada....

Thanks Priya for visiting the site:)

3:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Yummy looking curry!!! Thanks for sharing.

12:34 AM   Edit
Blogger Indian Food said...

Hi,

I have linked this post here

12:16 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home